I’m Josh. I do a mix of things, mostly related to software development, rock climbing, and helping software developers and rock climbers be better at what they do.
My wife and I are based in Golden, CO, but both work remotely and spend a fair bit of time traveling.
Curated list of things I’ve written
I’ve got about 230 posts in the archive, which is too much for even me to keep track of.
Here’s a good starting point:
- Rails Migrations: When you can’t add a uniqueness constraint because you already have duplicates
- Sidekiq and Background Jobs for Beginners
- Pry-ing into a Stack Trace
- Some Lessons Learned While Preparing for Two Technical Talks
- Troubleshooting Chinese Character Sets in MySQL
- Whole Messages in Slack
- So you want to work remotely…
- Remote Job Hunting Resources for Turing Grads and Anyone Else
- Denver.rb: Using
.sizein ActiveRecord query methods (8 min)
- Boulder Ruby Group: Developers should embrace working with the non-development parts of the business, and the constraints this entails. (30 min)
Guides & Tutorials
- Turing Prep Chapter 1: Make Mod 1 Easier Than It Otherwise Would Be
- On Learning Programming
- Anki and Memorization with Spaced Repetition Software
- How I take notes, AKA ‘Add an Index to Your Notebook’