Turing Prep Chapter 4: Arrays, Hashes, and Nested Collections
Index of this series:
- Turing Prep Chapter 1: Make Mod 1 Easier Than It Otherwise Would Be
- Turing Prep Chapter 2: Your first passing tests!
- Turing Prep Chapter 3: Video walk-through of a few of the mythical creatures, like
- Turing Prep Chapter 4: Arrays, Hashes, and Nested Collections (This is what you’re reading right now)
- Turing Prep appendix: Troubleshooting Errors
So far, we’ve covered some string manipulation and did a few mythical creatures.
You totally don’t have to look through the screencasts in order. I just wanted to call out array/hash manipulation on its own page.
I’ll add more screencasts for the other files in this directory soon:
$ tree collections collections ├── README.md ├── arrays.rb // done ├── hashes.rb // coming soon └── nested_collections.rb // coming soon
As I’ve mentioned before, I would recommend you try to stay ahead of me in this video. If you get stuck on making a test pass for more than a few minutes, check that spot of the video, then carry on.
This video is so long because I go into excruciating detail on each test, not just showing the given method that works, but showing how I would google for the right answers if I didn’t know them.
Googling is a skill. Get good at it. :)
Here’s an index of timestamps/what’s covered at that location.
- 1:10 - How to use this video
- 2:05 - test_0
- 2:28 - test_1
- 3:05 - test_2
- 3:35 - using “pry” for the first time in this file
- 4:53 - test_22
- 8:33 - test_3
- 9:20 - Anki flashcard post I mention
- 10:12 - test_4
- 14:10 - test_a
- 15:18 - test_5
- 18:17 - test_b
- 18:36 - test_c
- 19:08 - test_6
- 21:33 - test_7
- 23:02 - test_8
- 27:04 - test_9
- 30:19 - test_10
- 30:59 - test_11
- 31:41 - why read the docs?
- 32:37 - test_12
- 34:58 - test_13
- 36:05 - test_14
- 38:10 - suggested next steps
- 38:46 - write down Array methods in a notebook.